Tales of a PR Enthusiast

Follow Heather as she takes on the PR world headfirst and read about her PR fab adventures along the way.

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Allow Me To Introduce Myself

Hello blogging world. My name is Heather D’Amico and I’m not afraid to admit that I am quite nervous about writing my first blog post. I feel like I’m entering into a whole different dimension. It’s exciting but weird all at the same time. I think I am suffering from a case of “scary first time blogging” syndrome. I’ll recover.

I have spent many nights lying in my bed thinking of the most creative, intriguing things to write about in my first blog post. Now I’m here and…blank. Maybe it’s due to Robert Downy, Jr. on TV in the background blowing things up in his Iron Man get-up. Or maybe it’s because I am dreading waking up at 5 a.m. to go fold bras and panties for four hours at the Victoria’s Secret stock room. Or it could just be that I am slightly freaking out about graduating during a recession and as much work as I put into finding a job, I probably won’t. Either way, all of the ingenious sentences I had created in my mind while attempting to sleep are gone, vanished, vamoose.

I guess I will first start off by fully introducing myself. I am a 22 year old college senior majoring in public relations, broke as a joke and dream of living in New York City after I graduate in June. Being broke and living in New York City doesn’t normally go very well together, so that is why I had to do the one thing every 22 year old college senior dreads…move back home with the parents. Although I lost a minor sense of independence, living with the parents hasn’t been too excruciating. No rent, free food and an endless supply of toilet paper really isn’t all that bad. I just keep telling myself that I only have a few more months and then I will be strolling the streets of Manhattan.

Born and raised in Columbus, Ohio I thought it would only be fitting to attend an Ohio college. So, I enrolled at Ohio University in Athens, Ohio and a year later I transferred to Otterbein College in Westerville, Ohio. The reason for transferring from OU to Otterbein was due to the fact that Athens, Ohio only contains a Wal-Mart, Ruby Tuesdays and corn fields. Not really my thing. While attending Otterbein I have been involved with the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) and served as the Otterbein PRSSA Secretary over the last year. Being involved in PRSSA was probably the best decision I ever made in all my college years. Great organization, great people.

Ever since I saw my future husband, Christian Bale, in the movie Newsies when I was five years old I have wanted to live and work in New York City. I have visited many times and I realize this sounds very corny or tacky, but I truly believe it is a city of hopes and dreams. Be that as it may, I will be spending the next five months devising a plan of how I will survive once I am there. If you have any suggestions, please inform me. I am willing to listen to just about anything at this point.

To sum this thing up, I wanted to write a blog about college seniors or entry-level public relations people trying to figure out their lives and future. As I attempt to figure out my future as we speak, I thought it would be suiting for others to read about my failures, successes and just plain silly life so that we all don’t feel like lost college students. I hope I will be of some help, if not, I am sorry in advance. I just take one day at a time, hoping I come out alive.

blog comments powered by Disqus