Tales of a PR Enthusiast

Follow Heather as she takes on the PR world headfirst and read about her PR fab adventures along the way.

Unless you have been hiding under a rock for the last two years, we all know our country is facing a serious recession and a troubling job market. According to a recent news release from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, “In October, the unemployment rate rose to 10.2 percent, the highest since April 1983.”

As a 2009 college graduate, that unemployment percentage not only scares me, but it depresses me. I became even more depressed when I read an article in the Associated Press saying that in October 2009 the unemployment rate for college graduates was up to 4.7 percent. Yikes.



Out of everyone I know who graduated from college in ’09, I can count on one and a half hands how many of them landed a full-time, “real” job. Many of the college grads I know are resorting to serving tables, working in retail stores, working unpaid internships or, like me, are working temporary positions. It is a shame and unfair for us college grads who have worked so hard throughout college to build our resumes and do whatever we can to obtain a job after college and not see any results.

Personally, I am utterly frustrated with the entire situation. For the last two years I have been working my bum off to be able to find a public relations job in New York City and after five and a half months with a college degree I still have nothing.

My junior year of college was when I decided I really wanted to move to NYC. So, I started networking, working internships, getting involved with the Public Relations Student Society of America, utilizing social media and even making seasonal trips to NYC for informational interviews. For the last two years of college and up until now I have been doing whatever I can possibly think of to land a PR job in NYC. The result: four phone interviews that led to nothing. Nada. Zilch.

At this point I really don’t know what else I can do, except move to NYC with no money and no job. As tempting as that sounds, I’m going to continue what I’m doing and pray that this job market slump ends soon so I can find a job in my dream city.

P.S. If anyone has any suggestions, tips or advice on my NYC job search, I am all ears.